#header-inner {text-align:center !important;}

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

putting myself "out there"

I've had a lot going on over the last month.
In addition to school and work, I've been putting myself "out there"...
building my resume,
whatever you want to call it...
just looking for new opportunities.

I took the opportunity to apply for a new position on my unit, the
Unit-Based Staff Educator.
I had the hardest time deciding whether or not to apply for the job.
I spent a lot of time discussing it with Chris & praying about it & decided that the opportunity to move towards an educational role was right for me.
I applied, was interviewed, and found out this afternoon that I was not chosen for the position.
Surprisingly, I am completely o.k. with this.
I know that my co-worker who was chosen will be amazing in this role.
In so many ways she is already our unit educator.

In the midst of this, another opportunity has already presented itself.
I have a friend who is a clinical instructor for Duke's School of Nursing.
She has informally offered me a position as a clinical instrutor beginning in August.
I told her that I'm not ready to commit to anything now, but I'll be in touch with her in May/June to let her know what I decide.
The pay is amazing, and ultimately it would be a step in the direction of where I see myself going with my career.
I'm definitely not ready to leave patient care though, so I would be doing both.

I also recently applied to be a test item writer for the Oncology nursing Certification exam (O.C.N.).
I unfortunately did not get selected (they were only looking for 14 people nationwide).
It was a long-shot considering I have less than 4 years of experience.
It definitely would be cool to do & I will apply again when the opportunity presents.

If that wasn't enough...
I have recently written & submitted 2 abstracts to national conferences.
They're both on research I did surrounding the efficacy of neutropenic diets in myelosuppressed populations.
I submitted one to the Oncology Nursing Society Congress which is in
San Antonio, Texas this year. I should find out if it's accepted by next week.
I submitted the other to a Magnet Conference that will be in Louisville, Kentucky at the end of September...still have to wait a while to hear on that one.

I am excited about all of these opportunities regardless of the fact that some of them have already not panned out.
Atleast I'm putting myself "out there"...

No comments: