#header-inner {text-align:center !important;}

Friday, February 8, 2008

Work news...

I love my job!

I am so blessed to have a job that I love getting up to go to and, even when I'm exhausted afterwards, feel that I have accomplished something great for the day.

This week after 2 shifts of orientation to the charge nurse role, I was the day-shift charge nurse yesterday! I am honored that my boss thinks that I am capable of such a role and trusts me charging her unit for the day. I'll be in charge again for my 3 shifts next week. It's my job as the charge nurse to round with the physicians on each patient (which is fun because then I know something about all 31 patients on our unit), manage the flow of admissions & discharges, assign admissions, serve as a resource for the staff nurses, make the staffing assignment for the following shift, pass along unit report to the oncoming charge nurse, and keep the unit running smoothly. I think that overall the day went well. I'm looking forward to continuing to learn how to be a better charge nurse and how to best help everyone on our team!

Early in May I will be taking the OCN, Oncology Certified Nurse, exam. My boss encouraged me to take the exam and I registered back in December. I received confirmation a couple of weeks ago that I can secure a test date sometime in May. Somewhere between work, school work, and household stuff, I'll have to squeeze in some time for studying for the OCN.

No comments: