#header-inner {text-align:center !important;}

Monday, August 20, 2012

Baby food.

Since introducing Owen to "real food" at about 4 1/2 months, I have attempted to make the majority of what he eats.

I have opted to use boxed rice cerals & oatmeals and jarred carrots (because of the high nitrate content). We also use jarred applesauce at times as it is a convenient thing to have in the fridge as a quick go-to food.
My favorite resource for baby food making is http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/. There are wonderful charts of when you can introduce certain foods, recipes for how to prepare & freeze foods, etc.

I have had great success freezing most things. I make a large batch & then pour the food into ice cube trays, let them freeze, and punch the cubes out to store them in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Our favorite things to keep in the freezer are sweet potatoes, butternut squash, peas, & green beans.

For foods that don't freeze well (avocado, peaches, apples, pears), I just make a smaller batch & make sure Owen eats it up in a day or two.

Love, love baby food-making!

No comments: