#header-inner {text-align:center !important;}

Thursday, June 11, 2009

role reversal...

I had an opportunity for a bit of a role reversal today...
I got to be (or more aptly put, had to be) a patient.


WARNING: What follows may contain graphic words and thoughts that may turn readers off!

I have had a plantar wart on the bottom of my 3rd left toe for about 6 months now.
When it first appeared I didn't know what it was & for a while it didn't hurt.
But, then it got larger & much more painful.
I self-diagnosed it as a plantar wart & I was right!
My friendly dermatologist froze it for me on 2 different occassions.
It would get better only to return with a vengence in a few weeks.


I finally decided to consult a podiatrist.
It's a bit odd being 25 & needing to see a podiatrist!

I went for my appointment this morning & after looking at it, my new friend the podiatrist told me the best plan of action would be to remove it.
Like any good practitioner should do, she counseled me on the risks associated with the "surgery" as she called it.
I consented & off we went...


The first step was numbing my toe & thank goodness for that!
I've always wondered what the ethyl chloride anesthetic spray I use on my own patients feels like.
Now, I know that it's VERY, VERY cold.


Then I got a digital block.
I'm amazed that I could have just one single toe numbed up.
That was the worst part because I could feel a little stinging when she injected the medication under the skin on top of my foot (ouch!).


Then, perhaps the strangest part...she put 2 tourniquets on my toe.
Who even knew they made tourniquets for the toe!
(I'm probably more amused that most since I'm a nurse.)


And thank goodness my toe was numb by then, because the "scooping" as she called it began.
I could only feel pressure.

She applied a powder to help decrease the bleeding (apparently toes can bleed excessively).
The lovely nurse help pressure and the wrapped my toe up with an absurdly large bandage which I have to leave on until tonight.


They encouraged me rest my foot as much as possible today and soak my toe for the next few nights and then minus the small hole in my toe, I'll be as good as new!
Now, now---I don't do well with "resting", especially when I'm working the next 3 days & have lots to do.
I'm trying to be a compliant patient, but it's not easy.


It's not fun being the patient, but it's good for me to be on the opposite end of the bedside occassionally.


Now, some might think this is disturbing, but I take pictures of everything.
How could this be any different & how could I go without a picture...
Don't worry too much-it's still bandaged!



While I had my foot up, my sweet little Sadie girl was laying near by keeping a close eye on me.
When she wasn't napping that is...

1 comment:

Crystal English said...

It is very hard to be the patient. I had surgery last August and oh I wasn't really compliant but it bit me in the booty b/c I didn't heal well due to not resting. My recovery should have been about a week and it took almost a month. So, take it from me you might want to rest. Nurses are the worst patients- but at least we know it:)