#header-inner {text-align:center !important;}

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

cloth diapering

Lots of people have been asking me how cloth diapering is going.
The overwhelming majority of people ask & are thrilled that it's going well, but there may be a few skeptics out there who ask & I think may be secretly hoping that I've given it up already.

Well...it's going great & there's no chance of us giving up cloth diapering any time soon.

I started using the cloth diapers with Owen consistenly when he was between 4-5 weeks. Because we had some issues with weight gain & were feeding him so frequently=I was getting so little sleep, I wanted to overcome that hurdle before jumping fully into the cloth diapering adventure.

We are using cloth diapers made by BumGenius. We use both the Econobum diapers (prefolds with waterproof covers) & the BumGenius 4.0 (pocket-style diapers).
There are pros & cons to each. For instance, the Econobums are not made to hold moisture for 6 or 7 hours meaning we definitely use the pocket diapers (double-stuffed) at bedtime.

I've gotten into a pretty good routine of laundering the diapers. I wash diapers on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday nights. The process is lengthy as we wash 1st with a cold cycle, then with a hot cycle, & then rinse with cold water again. I tumble dry the inserts, but line dry all of our covers.

In the interest of full disclosure, we do not exclusively use cloth diapers. There have been nights that if Owen decides to revert back to his newborn sleep schedule (up every 3 hours) that I am exhausted & stick a disposable on him. If we're going out for a long period of time or travelling a great distance we use disposables.

When Owen goes to WBC preschool starting in September, they have graciously agreed to use our cloth diapering system. I'm so excited about that!

So, all of this to say that yes, we love using cloth diapers and will definitely keep it up with Owen & Owen's future siblings!

Thanks to all of our cloth supporters!!!

No comments: