#header-inner {text-align:center !important;}

Sunday, April 19, 2009

grief

The last week has been an odd week.

My classes are winding down-a great thing;
I have more time on my hands-usually a good thing;
and it seems that the events of the last 6 weeks are catching up with me & reality is setting in-not as good, but it needs to happen.

I'm really learning first-hand that grief is a process not something that just happens & then is gone.
I've always studied the stages of grief & such but have never experienced for myself just what a process it is.

A dear friend of Peppes' sent me a card a few weeks ago with this quote in it...

"Grief is the wake behind a boat.
It starts out as a huge wave that follows close behind you and is big enough to swamp and drown you if you suddenly stop moving forward.
But, if you do keep moving, the big wake will eventually dissipate.
After a long enough time, the waters of your life get calm again,
and that is when the memories of those who have left begin to shine as bright and enduring as the stars above."
-Jimmy Buffet from "A Salty Piece of Land"

I love the imagery of this quote & how it sums things up for me.

Although this week has been hard just in that I've had more time to reflect on how much I miss Peppes,
it's also been so beautiful in that I've had a chance to reflect on the wonderful memories I have of her.
There are simply too many to recount, but I feel so blessed to have them to hold onto.

(I promise all of my future posts will not be depressing.)

To end on a happy note...here's a picture of Chris & I at the Easter picnic we had with friends at the Duke Gardens last Sunday...
I love my babe!

No comments: